In line with global best practices, our Enterprise Development Programme is designed to assist SME businesses improve enterprise performance, achieve operational and financial self-sufficiency, grow and create value and jobs.
The Programme targets high growth SMEs run by high impact entrepreneurs. The qualifying criteria include:
- The SME must be in business for at least 1 year, except for start-up innovation driven businesses;
- Annual turnover less than R60m;
- High growth businesses – potential to grow turnover by 20% annually;
- The business must be in one of the growth sectors – i.e. infrastructure development, manufacturing, telecommunications, tourism, clean and renewable energy, waste management and agribusiness;
- The business must have an ability to create at least 5 permanent jobs over 3 years;
- The business plan must demonstrate ability to achieve the following milestones:
- breakeven in 2 years and start generating profit;
- Projected turnover of at least R20m after 3 years, except lesser turnover in Agri and Tourism sectors.
- Owners/management must demonstrate:
- sound understanding of the both the business and the relevant industry;
- entrepreneurial flair and great vision.
The Programme offers the following services:
- Entrepreneurship course at the University of Witwatersrand;
- Business assessment and assistance with developing a growth strategy;
- Mentoring and coaching;
- Provision of networking opportunities;
- Assistance with financial planning and financial management;
- Assistance with regulatory and legal compliance;
- Links to strategic partners;
- Sector specific technical support including project management, quantity surveying and engineering services, etc;
Selection process for the entreprise development program
- Complete the application/entry form
Applicants are required to complete the application/entry form. A panel of evaluators will screen the applications based on the responses to the questions in the application form and shortlisted applicants will proceed to next round.
- Supplementary information
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide additional information focusing on the business’ growth strategy.
- Interview/assessment process
The applicants will then be invited to a 60min interview to discuss their businesses.
- Announcement of selected candidates
The panel of evaluators will then select and announce the successful applicants.
The successful applicants will be required to conclude an MOU with the Program focusing on the responsibilities and the rights of the parties.